Thursday, February 17, 2011

Being Single

One of the things that drives me nuts being a single person is how the world views it. I went to my grandfathers mega church in Ohio where I scanned through a bulletin. On it was advertising a group for the singles in the church. It said "Single? Come join us at _____ ______" That question irked me.... To me is said " Oh your single..... I'm so sorry about that. Why don't we put you in a group of other single people in hopes that maybe you will luck out and find your soul mate.
Society looks at singleness as a disease. Like it's something wrong with you if your single. It's a thought process that has seeped into our youth and kids as well. We are matching our children with our best friends children when they are still in their cradles. The world tells us that we are not complete until we are matched with someone.
There is a status that comes with being married. Being 28 and single, I find that at times I do not receive respect that someone who is married would receive. That my God given gifts aren't good enough for something because I am not married. My choices and decisions can't be really trusted because I haven't been married and there is not a man in my life.
There are always exceptions to this rule. There are always people who recognize that you are who you are and it doesn't change because of being married or not. I love those people.
I am content being single. I have enjoyed it very much. I have been able to do things in my life because I am single that I would have never been able to do if I was married.
Yes, I hope someday to find out who that guy is who will love and cherish me. Someone that I can love and respect in return. But I am not going to base my life on it. I'm going to keep walking out the direction that God sends me in and God is going to take care of the rest. I will not treat singleness as a disease or curse but as a blessing. I am not going to shrink back from what God has for me because of my marital status. If your single enjoy it. Chances are you will have more time being married in your life then you will be single. If your married.... Congrats! I'm thrilled for you. Just remember not to treat those who are still single as they are waiting for their life to start. Their life has been going on for a while now. Look at the person and the heart and not at the marital status!

No comments:

Post a Comment